Sports Injury and Sports/exercise Medicine service
This service is offered with Dr Kay Brennan (Consultant in Sports and Exercise Medicine) and Megan Sturley (Physiotherapist with Master’s Degree in Sports and Exercises Medicine). It is designed to assess, diagnosis and treat a broad range of acute or chronic injuries. This includes overuse, sports/exercise and musculoskeletal injuries as well as various conditions across all age ranges.
Research shows that 90% of persistent aches and pains do not require surgery. All our Sport Medical practitioners will focus on getting patients more active and enable them to return to the sport/activity they are passionate about. Often people have more than one problem, such as hip and back pain. Our Sports medical services will treat the entire patient with an aim for functional restoration.
Dr Brennan will provide a ‘one-stop’ clinic. This can include:
- Comprehensive musculoskeletal and biomechanical examination.
- Point of care diagnostic Ultrasound (US) scanning.
- Onward referral for further imaging if required.
- Wide range of US guided soft tissue and joint injections.
- Prescription of exercises and referral for Physiotherapy programmes.
- Providing clarity and patient counselling with respect to surgical options.
- Guidance through the process of rehabilitation after surgery.
- Medical aspects of physical training such as stress fractures, over-training under-performance syndrome.
- Follow ups are face-to-face.
- Chronic back and neck pain that has failed routine treatment.
- Shoulder conditions e.g. impingement, frozen shoulder.
- Physical activity and sports related pain/injuries e.g. tendinopathies, persistent ligament/tendon strains, joint instability.
- Degenerative large and small joint disease.
- Foot, heel and ankle pain e.g. plantar fasciitis, meta-tarsalgia.
- Pregnancy related exercise advice and postpartum return to exercise
Megan Sturley and Lucy Tighe provide diagnosis and rehabilitation clinic which includes:
- Comprehensive Musculoskeletal Assessment
- Biomechanical Examination with video analysis if required
- Guidance through rehabilitation in the gym and home programmes
- Guidance through all stages leading up to and in-competition phases.
- Maintenance programmes and continual support to keep injury free with month to month check-ups.
- Manual therapy
- Manipulation techniques
- Treatment Ultrasound and Electrotherapy
- Acupuncture / dry needling (AACP registration and fully licenced clinic)
- Taping including pre and post competition taping
- Exercises prescription
- Video motion analysis
- Pregnancy related rehabilitation and massage